Continuing with our theme this month, we're going to focus on things we are thankful for in the flooring industry. Once again, we have so much to be thankful for all year round, but November really forces us to take a little extra time to think about the specifics. With that in mind, we want to be specific today in reminding everyone how thankful we are for good questions. There are few things more valuable than asking good questions when considering a floor and the contractor you want to install it. The right questions could mean the difference between the floor that's right for your home, and one that isn't the best fit.
Here are 9 great questions to ask before installing a new floor:
1. How will this type of floor hold up under the amount of foot traffic that goes through my house?
- Once you assess how much foot traffic actually moves over your floors on average, you'll be able to ask if your new floor will be able to take it long term.
2. What kind of floor is the best match for my family?
- Pets, kids, roommates...everyone who shares your home with you will have an effect on your floor. Think about the variables that their ages and habits could produce, then take all of these into consideration when choosing your floor.
3. How will the climate affect my new floor?
- Humidity, or a lack thereof, can affect certain types of flooring, so be sure to take that into account when making your decision.
4. If/When repairs need to be made, how expensive is this type of floor to fix on average?
- Everyone's budget is different, so thinking long term about the cost could help you narrow down your options.
5. What will I need to do to maintain the look and integrity of my floor?
- Certain types of flooring require some extra special care. Don't pick a floor that you can't or don't want to take the time to maintain.
6. How long will it take to install my new floor?
- Don't have a contractor start your project unless you can give them ample time to finish. You want the job done right, not rushed. Schedule accordingly.
7. Are there any potential problems you foresee that could raise the price of my project?
- Anyone who watches home improvement shows will tell you that unexpected issues can pop up at any point in a project. Save some room in your budget for them.
8. How will the mess made by this project be contained? How thorough is the contractor I'm considering in cleaning up after the project?
- You don't want to be left cleaning up after your contractor. Ask them how they plan on taking care of their mess.
9. May I see a few samples of your previous work with this kind of flooring?
- The proof is in the pudding. Don't be afraid to ask for a bit of evidence that the contractor you're considering is as good as they say they are.
There are no dumb questions in the flooring business, and you deserve the answers that will ensure the highest quality for your home. Ask them with confidence, kindness, and open ears. That's all it takes to get great results!